- The United Nations is an international Non-governmental organization founded on 24 October 1945 after the Second World War by 51 countries committed to maintaining international peace and security, developing friendly relations among nations and promoting social progress, better living standards and human rights.
- Peacekeeping is one among a range of activities undertaken by the United Nations to maintain international peace and security throughout the world. It began in 1948 and led by the ‘Department of Peacekeeping Operations’ (DPKO), and works to create the conditions for lasting peace in a country, torn by conflict.
- It has participated in 64 peacekeeping missions in total, around the world.
- The UN played a role in bringing about independence in more than 80 countries that are now sovereign nations.
As of 28 February 2011, UN workforce consisted of
- 84,342 serving troops and military observers.
- 14,521 police personnel.
- 114 countries contributed military and police personnel.
- Over 5,500 international civilian personnel.
- Nearly 13,700 local civilian staff.
- 2,387 UN Volunteers.
- The UN does not have its own military force. It depends on contributions from Member States (192).
- There are currently 15 UN peace operations deployed in four continents.
- There are more than 10,000 peacekeepers. Among them 118 are Indians.
- In addition to maintaining peace and security, peacekeepers are increasingly charged with assisting in political processes, reforming judicial systems, training law enforcement and police forces, disarming and reintegrating former combatants, supporting the return of internally displaced persons and refugees.
- Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the UN official languages.
- However, UN is facing criticism regarding corruption and abuse and some other things.
UN has a great effect on international peace. But, there are some arguments regarding contribution of military forces from different countries. To change the world, it need to change itself too. It’s better if it has it’s own military force.
Afterwords :- What are your thoughts on this topic? Feel free to express your opinion in the comment section below.