How to prevent floods:
- The rapid rise of concretized surfaces is resulting in flooding because there is not much chance for rainwater to get absorbed into the soil. Constructions should happen in a way that water will get absorbed into the soil and recharges the groundwater. This will mitigate the risk of flooding.
- Trees absorb water. But rapid urbanization is resulting in the cutting off of more and more trees. This should be prevented.
- Encroachment of wetlands, lakes and ponds should be prevented. They can absorb rainwater and can thus prevent the risk of flooding.
- Water conservation pits should be made compulsory for every home. They can store rainwater and can mitigate the risk of floods.
- Rooftop gardening should be encouraged to create more chances for water to get absorbed.
- Footpaths, roads and parking lots should also be constructed in such a way that they can allow the water to go into the soil. Permeable paving should be encouraged.
- Flood barriers should be constructed in flood-prone areas.
- Extra care should be taken while assessing and allowing the business projects in flood-prone areas.
Even though floods come under natural disasters, most of the floods can be categorised as man-made disasters because poor planning of infrastructure is resulting in flooding. We have to take action to prevent such man-made floods.
What are your thoughts on this topic? Express your opinion through the comment section below. And subscribe to our blog to read answers to the trending GD topics.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.