In Favor :-
- Demonetization move is not democratic in nature. And it could weed out a big part of black money. Till now, democracy didn’t help us much in eliminating black money.
- In India, many elected governments scrapped most of the previous government’s policies and implemented new policies. In the war between governments, India’s progress is at stake. Elected governments are more likely to implement short-term policies to woo citizens, so that they can get re-elected. Nation needs long-term policies for sustainable development.
- Political illiteracy is still high in India. This is resulting in the ignorance of power of vote. Hence vote bank politics are a big obstacle of India’s progress.
- Power distribution is giving chance to more political representatives to misuse the power.
- Democracy results in the delay of political decisions, so does the progress. Currently a lot of ills are pending in the parliament, waiting to be passed. Many times, people do not accept the decisions and protest against them, resulting in further delay of development.
- India is world’s largest democracy. And India is one of fastest growing GDPs. This is the proof that democracy has not hampered India’s progress.
- Democracy ensures that no voice is neglected. Bills are scrutinized by representatives in the parliament, so that the improved version of the bill will be passed. Thereby inclusive growth takes place, that means the fruits of development reaches everyone equally. A nation’s progress is a real progress only if it reaches it’s entire population.
- China is a communist country. It could become the world’s biggest manufacturing hub, because of it’s quick implementation of policies and with no efficient opposition for the government. But the growth is not sustainable. Now China’s economy is slowing down.
- Favoritism and nepotism can be checked and questioned in India.
- There is no guarantee that monarchial form of government will improve India’s progress.
Democracy did not hamper India’s progress and indeed democracy is the reason for inclusive growth in India. Democracy also ensures that the progress is sustainable. Though there are some loopholes in democracy, it is the destiny of every country. People are now aware of their basic rights. Everyone wants democracy because they want to be ruled by themselves and not by others.
Even if democracy results in slow progress, the best thing is that we have a say in politics and decisions of the government. So, with the increase in the political literacy levels, every democratic country will definitely progress.
Afterwords :- Do you think democracy has hampered India’s progress? Express your thoughts in the comment section below.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.