- In 1991, there are 150 million Indians who claim themselves to be of the poor. In 2001, the number rises up to 230 million Indians.
- According to UNICEF “Every 3.6 seconds one person dies of starvation”.
- In India if the family’s income is not at least $1 per day, they are considered as poor.
- Increase in population.
- Big families.
- Lack of motivation.
- Spending their little money for drinking, smoking instead of saving.
- Some people cannot work. For example old aged, Some handicapped person.
- Natural disasters such as floods, cyclone and drought.
- Some rural areas have less communication with cities due to lack of transport facilities.
- Instability of Govt.
- Poor health.
- Unequal distribution of land and resources.
- Education must be free of cost in rural areas.
- We should motivate them to start self-employment, and to utilize their skills( Govt. is already providing free training programs to improve skills) etc.
- Through medical and health programs.
- Govt. must provide water facilities, roads in the rural areas.
- It’s better to not encourage them to be lazy, by donating money to them. There is a saying that “The worst thing you can do to eradicate poverty is start giving the poor people free rides”.
- Increase in number of jobs.
- Govt. must pass a rule for having a limit to the land owned by the family.
- Govt. must increase the number of training institutes in rural areas. Because “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”
- Through awareness programs about reducing population. Some poor people are remaining in poverty because of more no. of children.
- Awareness programs about the consequences of smoking and drinking, and about saving money. Money saved is the money earned.
- We should not encourage child labor.
- Awareness programs about conserving rain water.
- The black money which is in swiss bank at present, must be taken by Govt. and it should be utilized for eradicating poverty.
- we should not encourage beggars.
Poverty can be be totally eradicated, if govt. and as well as we have a strong will to do so.
Your Turn :- What are your thoughts on this topic? Feel free to express your opinion in the comment section below.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.
Subscribe to GD Ideas
Ask a GD Topic
We’ll try our best to write content for the asked topics as soon as possible.