Points to speak on the topic – ‘Sustainable Fashion’:
- The fashion industry accounts for 10 percent of global carbon emissions more than the aviation and shipping industries combined. The demand for clothing and other fashion goods is increasing at a rapid rate.
- Several factors are contributing to the growth of the fashion industry. The world’s growing middle class, rising globalization, change in consumer habits (Now, more and more people prefer to wear fashionable outfits), and promotion of fashion goods by social media influencers are some of the reasons for the boom of the fashion industry.
- The growth of the fashion industry is good for the economy because it is creating plenty of jobs and also fetches revenue for governments. But at the same time, the burden on the environment is also increasing because most fashion goods are not eco-friendly.
- The world would be a boring place without fashion. But we have to protect the environment too to preserve the earth for future generations. So, the solution for this is Sustainable Fashion.
- Sustainable fashion comes in many ways such as buying eco-friendly clothes, repairing and reusing the clothes we already have, swapping or donating clothes to prevent them from ending up in landfills (circular fashion), upcycling fashion goods, buying from brands that ensure employees work in safe conditions and earn fair wages (ethical fashion), taking clothes for rent to wear in ceremonies instead of buying them etc.
- Globally, people were regularly using eco-friendly clothes. But fast fashion, which means the mass production of cheap and poor-quality clothing replaced eco-friendly clothing and became the norm. As a result, the fashion industry accounts for 10 percent of global carbon emissions more than the aviation and shipping industries combined. Now, as people are more conscious of the effects of their actions on the environment, the sustainable fashion market is expected to grow.
- These days, many people are promoting sustainable fashion. Several brands came up in this segment and several existing brands are also transforming themselves into sustainable fashion brands.
- Eco-friendly clothes are good for physical and mental health as the fabrics help our skin breathe and the sense of happiness with the fact that we are not harming health can give us immense satisfaction.
Even though the fashion industry is creating plenty of jobs, its carbon footprint is increasing at a rapid rate. So, the best solution is sustainable fashion. We can follow sustainable fashion in many ways such as buying eco-friendly clothes, swapping or donating clothes to prevent them from ending up in landfills etc.
What’s your take on sustainable fashion? Express your point of view through the comment section below. And subscribe to our blog to read answers to the trending GD topics.
Photo by Vie Studio
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.