Love Marriage vs Arranged Marriage:
Advantages of Love Marriage:-
- Marriage is a life-long commitment. So, the decision to choose the life partner should be in one’s own hands.
- Love is the base of any marriage. In love marriages, there will be no question on whether love happens or not.
- In Love marriages, the couple knew each other very well and most probably they already understood each other fully. Hence, there won’t be many conflicts.
- Those who want to go for love marriage have more choices than those who go for an arranged marriage because arranged marriages mostly happen with the people of the same caste/class/religion.
- Planned love lives results in happy families.
- Generally, equality prevails in love marriages.
Disadvantages of Love Marriage:-
- The couple who go for love marriage is mostly independent. If they want to get out of the relationship, they do not consider relatives opinions much.
- Love marriages are still socially unacceptable in some parts of India. That is the reason we are witnessing honour killings. So, it is quite risky for some people to go for love marriage.
- Youngsters may confuse attraction with love.
- Love is not the only thing we need in life. One should also check the reality like the family background, economic conditions, the environment they grew up in etc.
Advantages of Arranged Marriage:-
- In Arranged marriages, parents do inquire about each other’s family and their circle. So, there is a high probability that one will get into a relationship with a similar kind of family as theirs. This prevents trusting people blindly, which happens in some love marriages.
- Parents or well-wishers think about future and economic conditions.
- The couple most likely thinks about both of their families. So, they will learn to adjust, which is a very good quality for any relationship.
- According to research conducted by Dr. Robert Epstein, an American psychologist, love in love marriages tends to fade away with time, whereas love in arranged marriages grows with time.
Disadvantages of Arranged Marriage:-
- Arranged marriage is like a lottery. Love may or may not blossom between the couple. Some couples will face compatibility issues.
- The couple does not know each other well if they spend less time together before marriage. If they have many differences to the extent that they cannot live together, marriage will break.
- Too much submissiveness to elders may restrict couple from divorcing, even if they do not have love in between them anymore.
- Though the divorce rate is less in arranged marriages compared to love marriages, it cannot be said that they are happily married. In general, some people who are living in unhappy marriages but are not able to divorce due to several reasons such as children, societal pressure tend to opt for suicide.
- People who go for arranged marriage may not be that comfortable to discuss everything in detail before marriage. This may cause problems after marriage.
- In the name of arranged marriages, forced marriages are still prevalent in many parts of India.
Whether it is love or arranged marriage, the relationship will work only if both the partners are serious and honest in the relationship. Life partner must be selected according to their own will and not by force. These days, people are taking time to learn about each other before marriage even in arranged marriages. This is a sign of a progressive society.
Photo credits : Shaun Anyi
Do you support Love Marriages? What is your take on Arranged marriages? Share your thoughts through the comment section below. And subscribe to our blog to read answers to trending GD topics.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.