Advantages of Joint Family:-
- In joint families, Elderly parents will get the support of children. Young parents will get the help of their parents in raising kids.
- Kids will have the guidance and support of grandparents. When both the parents are working, this support will be of great help.
- Increasing incidents of child kidnapping, human trafficking is worrying issues for parents of children. In joint families, this fear will be lesser because there will be a number of people to take care of their children.
- Joint families are cost-effective units. Rents will be saved. Shared financial responsibilities will reduce the burden on everyone.
- People in joint families will have plenty of support in times of difficulties.
- Members of joint families are less likely to suffer from loneliness and depression.
- People who were raised in joint families can easily mingle with other people. It’ll be very helpful in having an active social life.
- Functions and festivals will be super fun.
- There will be no dearth of friends, because of having cousins in their own home.
- Members of the joint family can sustain daily needs even in cases of sudden job losses.
- People will learn the importance of adjustment from childhood.
Disadvantages of Joint Family:-
- As several families live together, there will be plenty of conflicts in sharing household work and financial responsibilities etc. This may affect relationships.
- In general, gender division of work passes on from generation to generation in joint families. So, women in joint families may have to take care of the house chores, even if they are working women. In some families, elder members don’t even allow women of the house to have a career.
- There will be less privacy for everyone in the family.
- In the case of decision making, it’ll be tough to reach a consensus because of the number of people involved.
- Earning members may feel that they are being taken for granted by lazy members of the family.
Advantages of Nuclear family:-
- More privacy.
- There will not be many conflicts with extended family as they will have much fewer possibilities of conflicts.
- It’s easy to convince everyone in the family in case of taking decisions.
- Nuclear families tend to have more gender equality when compared to joint families because it does not contain elders to impose the age-old beliefs on the entire family.
- Adults in nuclear families will learn to be independent and will take responsibility to support their family. The same will be learned by kids, and they can easily sustain themselves when they migrate to a new area to live on their own.
- Parents can save money for the future of their kids as they will have fewer expenses.
Disadvantages of Nuclear family:-
- When both parents are working, it will be much difficult to manage kids.
- They may become isolated from extended family.
- Children may get attracted to bad habits and bad friends easily when compared with children that have a lot of support and guidance from grandparents, uncles and aunts.
- Children may follow the same trend and may leave their parents once they start earning. This will cause loneliness in elderly parents.
Both types of families have their own advantages and disadvantages. People choose to have a nuclear family or joint family depending on their situations and personal preferences.
What is your opinion on this topic? Which types of family you prefer? Join the Group Discussion by adding your views in the comment section below. Subscribe to our blog to read answers to trending GD topics.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.