Causes of drug menace in India :-
- There is no separate police force to deal with drugs business. India has ‘Narcotic Control Bureau’ (NCB), but they do not have enough manpower and equipment to deal with the rapidly growing drug menace.
- Earlier drugs business could be traced due to the financial transactions through banks. But now, drugs are bought and sold using cryptocurrencies like bitcoin. Hence it is very difficult to track this business.
- Major part of the drugs business is happening through ‘dark web’, which is hidden and inaccessible through standard web browsers.
- Schools and colleges are not taking responsibility to keep an eye on students to check drugs usage.
- Compared to other countries like USA, Malaysia and Thailand, we are not spending much money to tackle drug menace. Other countries involve military forces too to tackle drug trafficking.
- Few politicians and influential persons are also involved in this business. Hence they are stopping any serious steps to eliminate drug trafficking.
- Most of drugs are transported from Latin American countries. But ‘Amphetamine-type stimulants‘ (ATS) drug can be manufactured anywhere. It is the world’s second most widely abused drug after cannabis. In India, this drug is widely produced illegally.
- Drug trafficking is the most profitable illegal business. Hence, many people are involved in production and transport of drugs.
- In other countries such as Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore and Thailand, punishment for drug trafficking is death sentence. But, in India Jail term for drug trafficking is 10 years, and for repeated offences it is life term.
- Drug menace is the second most dangerous threat to the world after terrorism. But loss of lives is more due to drug trafficking than due to terrorism. According to ‘Global Peace’ report, atleast 1 lakh 90 thousand people died due to drugs in 2016.
- Drug addicts face several health complications such as depression, mood swings, anxiety etc.
- Violent behaviour and crimes increases due to drug menace.
- Usage of drugs through injections is leading to spread of AIDS and Hepatitis.
- Major part of the money earned through drugs is used to fund terrorism.
What Indian government is doing :-
- India setup ‘Narcotics Control Bureau‘ (NCB) to deal with drug trafficking.
- ‘Director of Revenue Intelligence‘ (DRI) checks all illegal businesses including drugs business.
- Customs checks the drugs imports from other countries.
- Drug victims are counseled and are sent to de-addiction centers.
What more needs to be done :-
- Drug trafficking should be attacked at all the three stages – Production, transport and usage.
- Drug addicts are victims according to Indian laws. So, they are sent to de-addiction centers. Enquiring them thoroughly can help government to trace the routes and origins of drugs transport.
- Separate police force should be created to deal with drug trafficking.
- More funds must be allotted towards this cause.
- Schools and colleges should take responsibility to protect students from the danger of drugs.
- Punishments for drug dealers should be severe.
- Awareness programs on drug abuse and its ill effects must be conducted.
Drug trafficking is the second most dangerous threat to the world after terrorism. India needs to fight with drug trafficking on a war-footing.
Afterwords :- What is your opinion on this topic? Express your thoughts in the comment section below. Subscribe to our blog to get new topics delivered to your mail.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.