- ChatGPT-4 was launched in March 2023, and it impressed users with its impressive advancements in artificial intelligence (AI) technology. With its new multimodal capabilities, ChatGPT-4 can work with multiple types of input, such as text, voice, and images, making it more versatile in its use than its earlier version, ChatGPT-3. However, one of ChatGPT-4’s main drawbacks is that its training data only go up until September 2021, rendering it outdated for current events. Google’s new AI chatbot, called Bard, aims to surpass ChatGPT in this area. This article presents a comprehensive comparison between ChatGPT-4 and Google Bard.
What is a chatbot?
- Chatbots are computer programs designed to mimic human conversation and respond to user input in a way that feels natural and engaging. It uses artificial intelligence and natural language processing techniques to imitate conversations with users that resemble those held with actual humans.
Differences in Data Source and Models:
- ChatGPT uses Generative Pre-training Transformer 4 (GPT-4) models.
- GPT-4 models have been trained on massive amounts of internet data, including books, websites, and social media platforms, resulting in an extensive understanding of the English language.
- This allows ChatGPT to generate human-like responses with a broader range of knowledge and understanding of different topics.
- ChatGPT is trained on data till 2021.
- ChatGPT also cannot use the internet (known as crawling) to access data. However, Microsoft integrated ChatGPT into the Bing search engine.
- Bard uses Google’s Language Model for Dialogue Applications (LaMDA).
- Unlike GPT, LaMDA is trained on a more limited dataset of specific topics and contexts.
- This means that Bard may excel in certain areas in which it has been trained, such as specific industries or fields.
- Bard is trained on more recent datasets based on Internet content called Infiniset.
- Bard can also crawl the web for providing information.
Where ChatGPT excels:
- ChatGPT can generate human-like responses, making it suitable for natural-sounding conversations on various topics.
- ChatGPT excels in more complex scenarios or dialogues with extended, detailed, and contextually relevant responses.
- ChatGPT has a broader range of knowledge and understanding of different topics due to its training on massive amounts of internet data.
- ChatGPT can maintain consistency throughout the conversation and handle multiple rounds of dialogue.
- ChatGPT can generate responses in multiple languages, making it useful for multilingual communication.
- ChatGPT-4 is multimodal now, which means it can work with multiple types of input, such as text, voice, and images, making it more versatile in its use.
Where Bard excels:
- Bard can crawl the web, which helps it search the web in real-time to find the most recent answers to questions and the latest research.
- LaMDA was created specifically to have more natural and open-ended conversations. That means LaMDA is trained to understand the intent behind a user’s questions and the nuance of context, making it suitable for tasks such as booking reservations or making appointments.
- Bard’s more focused training results in more accurate and relevant responses to specific queries or tasks.
- Google claims that Bard is designed as a multimodal AI however its capabilities are yet to be tested.
Limitations of ChatGPT:
- There is a risk of it inheriting the biases present in the data. This can lead to biased or inappropriate responses to certain queries.
- Its old 2021 training data also limits its capacity to capture the latest world events and research.
- It cannot crawl into the web to provide the latest information or to do fact-checking, which leads to generating false or irrelevant information quite often.
- ChatGPT struggles with tasks that require specific knowledge or expertise, such as providing medical diagnoses or legal advice, as its training data is more generalized.
Limitations of Bard:
- Bard’s training data is focused on specific topics and contexts, which can lead to limited knowledge outside of these areas. This may result in inaccurate or irrelevant responses to certain queries.
- This also limits its ability to handle more complex conversations that require a broader understanding of the topic or the ability to generate creative and innovative responses.
- Unlike ChatGPT, Bard’s responses are trained to be more precise and accurate than generating extended and detailed responses. Though this helps Bard generate more accurate information, it can limit its effectiveness in conversations that require a more in-depth and comprehensive approach.
- Bard is still in the development stage, and at present, it is not as widely available as ChatGPT.
Both ChatGPT-4 and Google Bard are impressive language models that offer their unique strengths and weaknesses. ChatGPT-4’s ability to generate human-like responses in complex scenarios with a broader range of knowledge and maintain consistency throughout a conversation, along with its multimodal capabilities, makes it a versatile tool for various use cases. On the other hand, Google Bard’s ability to crawl the web and provide more accurate and relevant responses for specific queries or tasks, along with its more focused training, makes it a powerful tool for certain applications.
However, Bard may struggle with open-ended or complex conversations and its responses may be shorter and less detailed compared to ChatGPT. Moreover, Bard is yet to be rolled out for public use, which will then allow the users to find out its full capacity and how it competes with ChatGPT-4’s impressive multimodal capabilities. Ultimately, the choice between ChatGPT and Bard depends on the specific use case and the type of conversation or task that needs to be performed. The advancements in the field of AI are rapidly progressing, and it will be fascinating to see how both ChatGPT and Bard continue to evolve and improve. It is an exciting time for AI, and we can expect to see even more impressive developments in the future.
Photo by Mojahid Mottakin
What’s your take on the ChatGPT 4 Vs Bard? Express your point of view through the comment section below. And subscribe to our blog to read answers to the trending GD topics.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.