Advantages of Love Marriage :-
- Marriage is a life-long commitment. So, selecting life partner should be in one’s own hands.
- Love is the base for any marriage. In love marriages, there will be no question on whether love happens or not.
- In Love marriages, couple knew each other very well and most probably they already understood each other fully. Hence, there won’t be much conflicts.
- People, who go for love marriage have more choices than those who go for arranged marriage, because arranged marriages mostly happen in between same caste/class/religion people.
- Planned love lives results in happy families.
- Generally, equality prevails in love marriages.
Disadvantages of Love Marriage :-
- The couple who go for love marriage are mostly independent. If they want to get out of the relationship, they do not consider relatives opinions much.
- Love marriages are still socially unacceptable in some parts of India.
- Youngsters may confuse attraction with love.
- Love is not the only thing we need in life. One should also check the reality like the family background, economical conditions, the environment they grew up in etc.
Advantages of Arranged Marriage :-
- In Arranged marriages, parents do inquire about each other’s family and their circle. So, there is a high probability that one will get into a relationship with a similar kind of family as theirs.
- Parents or well-wishers think about the future and economical conditions.
- Couple most likely think about both of their families. So, they will learn to adjust, which is a very good quality for any relationship.
- According to a research conducted by Dr. Robert Epstein, love in arranged marriages tends to fade away with time, whereas love in arranged marriages grows with time.
Disadvantages of Arranged Marriage :-
- Arranged marriage is like a lottery. Love may or may not blossom between the couple.
- Couple do not know each other well, if they spend less time together before marriage. If they have many differences to an extent that they cannot live together, marriage will break.
- In the name of arranged marriages, forced marraiges are still prevalent in many parts of India.
- Too much submissiveness to elders may restrict couple from divorcing, even if they do not have love in between them anymore.
- People who go for arranged marriage may not be that comfortable to discuss everything in detail before marraige. This may cause problems after marriage.
- Though divorce rate is less in arranged marriages compared to love marriages, it cannot be said that they are happily married.
Whether it is love or arranged marriage, relationship will work only if both the partners are serious and honest in the reationship. Life partner must be selected according to their own will and not by force. These days, in Indian arranged marraiges too people are taking time to learn about each other before marriage, which is a sign of evolving society.
Afterwords :- Do you support Love Marriages? What is your opinion on this topic? Express your thoughts in the comment section below.
This article is written by Sujatha Darse. Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.