- Due to COVID-19 pandemic, many companies allowed their employees to work from home (WFH). Some employees are happy with WFH option, but some are not comfortable with it. There are pros & cons with WFH option for both employees and companies.
Advantages for Employees:
- Travel time to and from the office will be saved.
- They can spend more time with family. This is beneficial for many especially for parents of young children.
- Even in modern times, women are expected to take care of home and children. With this responsibility, several women are forced to leave their jobs. The rise in WFH culture is a boon for them. With this more women can join in jobs again.
- The location will not be a barrier. Employees can get a job, even if the office is located in another city.
- If they want to get to know their office and colleagues better, they can attend the office at regular intervals like once a week.
Disadvantages for Employees:
- The line between work and home will be blurred. In general, employees leave work tensions at office and come home to relax. But this opportunity will be lost and it may cause anxiety. If work and personal life are not balanced well, work will extend to longer hours. This can create WFH burnout.
- Employees have to set up a work environment at home, which will incur extra expense. Even then, some people may not focus on work due to the lack of a professional atmosphere.
- Some companies are giving so much work just because their employees are working from home.
- Teamwork is a bit difficult while working from home.
- Working from home from a long periods of time can hamper social and interpersonal skills.
- Continuously staying at home may make some people feel isolated.
- For some people, setting up office space at home may not be an option due to lack of extra space in the home.
- Some jobs may require employees to be online during work hours and the continuous power supply may not be available to many.
- It can be difficult to establish connections with new colleagues because the opportunity to meet and talk with them during coffee breaks will be lost.
Advantages for Companies:
- Less expense for office maintenance.
- Can hire talented people, even if they reside in another city.
- Employees may not ask for much leaves.
Disadvantages for Companies:
- Training new staff can be tough with all the employees working from home.
- Have to deal with WFH specific challenges like information security and hacking of video calls etc.
- It’s difficult to monitor work from home employees.
- It’s hard to establish connections among employees.
Even though work from home culture is on the rise due to COVID-19 situation, work from home opportunities will increase in number to adapt to the changing times. With time, companies and employees will take steps to reduce the disadvantages.
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels
What are your thoughts on work from home culture? Do let us know your point of view through the comment section below. And subscribe to our blog to read answers to the trending GD topics.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.