- Online trolling and cyber bullying are increasing at a rapid pace, which is a worrying thing. Sometimes it is too severe that victims of trolling and cyber bullying are deciding to stay away from digital space.
Causes for Trolling :-
- People that troll may not abuse others on their face. As they can hide behind a screen, they get courage to abuse others.
- Anyone can go anonymous in the online world and hence they think that they are not noticeable. People can maintain a good behaviour in real life and can be a abuser in digital space.
- Impatience in people, and lack of will to appreciate the differences of opinions.
- Some people will think that they are doing good to society by trolling and making some people quiet. They feel like social justice warriors.
- Some people troll others for fun. However some of them realize that it is a sadistic fun and some others do not.
- People who troll are very confident that they can get away with it. Lack of punishments for trolling is one of the main causes.
- A good part of trolls in online are on women the defy patriarchal restrictions. Some people are so caught up with the false notions of gender based behaviour, and they go to extreme behaviour to impose their opinions on others.
- Some people are inherently bad people and exhibit anti-social behaviour in the real life too. So online trolling is just an extension of their real life.
- Some people, who were abused in real life tend to abuse others. They can be treated.
- These days, politically motivated trolls are a common thing. Political parties are recruiting people to troll opposition parties.
- Trolls encourage other people to troll. They think there are a lot of people that troll and they are among a group of people and hence no individual threat.
- There is no reward for good behaviour in online world.
Effects of Trolling :-
- Victims that face trolling may undergo trauma. They may feel unsafe in the digital space and sometimes in the real life too because some people threaten the victims to an extreme level.
- Some victims, especially teenagers may take extreme decisions like committing suicide.
- Trolling encourages anti-social elements (rape threats etc.).
- Aggression and violent behaviour will increase in the people that resort to trolling and cyber bullying. They do not realize that it harms themselves.
What needs to be done :-
- These days, people are reporting to police about trolls, which is a progressive thing. But there is no proper punishments for those who troll. There is a need to implement appropriate punishments for the people that troll. And these punishments should be there for those who troll common people too.
- And the most important thing is we should aim at the root-cause, that is lack of empathy in the people. There is a need to sensitise people about the consequences of their actions. There is a need to conduct awareness programs in schools, colleges etc as a part of Digital India program.
These days some people are facing trolling for a few days to a few weeks. Anyone can be victim. Mere expression of opinion can make you a victim of harsh trolls. There is a need to check this behaviour to make everyone feel safe in the digital space and in real life as well. There should be counselling for people that troll about how the people at other end feel and go through trauma because of their actions.
What is your opinion on Trolling? Express your thoughts in the comment section below. Subscribe to our blog to read answers for trending GD Topics.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.