- ‘Statue of unity‘ is statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was launched on 31st October 2018. It is the present World’s tallest statue with a height of 182 meters. It was praised as well as criticised because Rs. 2500 crores were spent for making the statue.
In Favor :-
- It’s because of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, many small kingdoms joined India at the time of independence leading to the formation of the present India. So, a statue to honour him is a good idea. The statue ensures he will be remembered by the future generations also.
- There will be a return of investment because it is developed as a tourist spot. It will be a plus to tourism industry of India, and hence will be a plus for the economy too.
- Many people are criticising the move because of its cost. But the fact is that the total expenditure was not given by Indian government. Only Rs. 200 crores was spent by Indian government and the rest of the amount was by corporate sector under Public Private Partnership (PPP).
- Iron collected from farmers of approx 5 lakh villages was used in the statue symbolising the unity of India.
- It already created employment while it is in the process of making. It has the potential to generate more employment opportunities in the future.
- India is still a developing country and has a lot of problems that need immediate attention such as poverty, agricultural crisis etc. It’s all about priorities. Instead of spending the amount for the problems India is facing, building a statue worth Rs. 2500 crores seems to be a foolish decision.
- It’s very important the Sardar Patel need to be honored and remembered. But the way to do it matters a lot.
- Sardar Patel was cremated as an ordinary person according to his wish. He is a simple person and wouldn’t appreciate the move if he is alive today.
- There are many more freedom fighters that need to be remembered. Indian government would have spent on making statues for all freedom fighters with that amount.
- If hospitals and schools in his name were built to honor him, the investment would have helped in the development of India, and future generations will know the legacy of Sardar Patel ji for sure. Both the goals would have been achieved.
- There is no guarantee that it will become one of the best tourist places.
It’s all about priorities. At present India needs to invest in human development, poverty alleviation, improvement of agriculture before spending that much amount in honoring our leaders. But it was already built. So, it’s better to put an effort to make it as one of the best tourist spots in the world.
What is your opinion on Statue of Unity? Do you think it is worth the investment? Express your thoughts in the comment section below. Subscribe to our blog to receive notification whenever a new post is published.
Image : Government of India, licensed under the Government Open Data License – India (GODL)
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.