Table of Contents
- Lack of infrastructure.
- Lack of encouragement.
- Lack of Sports schools, especially in rural areas.
- Lack of sporting culture.
- Politics in National Sports Federations.
- Insufficient funds.
- Lack of incentives to sports persons.
- Low salaries of Sport Coaches and staff in sports field.
- Malnutrition in nearly 20 crore children in India. This is one of the big challenges, because for sports, physical as well as mental strength is must.
- Becoming a sports person is expensive for poor and lower middle class because it requires costly sports equipment and years of dedicated hard work.
- India doesn’t have a proper system to spot and develop sports talent in children as well as in young people.
- If a sports person fails in his sport, she/he has struggle to make living in India. In most of the other countries, this will not happen.
- In India, employment opportunities in the sports field is very much less, when compared globally.
- As it’s difficult to succeed in making sports as career in India, most of the parents are not encouraging children in the sports field.
- Until recently India concentrated only on cricket. Now, a few more sports got attention. But still there are more sports, which need media coverage and publicity.
- Indian education system only concentrates on studies, but not on sports.
What India is doing :-
- ‘Sports Authority of India’ is supporting local talent. But is is not upto the mark.
- Sports quota in Government jobs to encourage sports persons.
- Indian Government gives cash prizes and awards to the winners of national and international sport events.
What still needs to be done :-
- Sports persons should be supported from the training stage.
- Sports schools should be setup.
- Sports should be a part of our education system.
- Sports scholarships needs to be given to the students that have sports talent.
- Underdeveloped Indian sports should be commercialized.
- India should also focus on the games played worldwide.
- More and more international sports events should be hosted in India to encourage and inspire Indian youth towards sports.
- ‘Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports’ takes care of Sports affairs in India.
- ‘National Sport Federations’ for different sports, together manages Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.
- ‘Sports Authority of India’ was setup in 1984 to broadcast and to bring excellence in sports. It supports and nurtures sports talent in youth.
- ‘Ministry of youth affairs & sports’ gives annual sports awards like ‘Arjuna award’, ‘Rajiv Khel Ratna award’ for the excellence in sports.
- India hosted and co-hosted several international sports events.
- Till recently only cricket was emphasized in India. But now several other sports got attention and support by Prokabaddi League, Indian Badminton League, Indian Super League etc.
- Globally, sports is one of the largest industries. In India, it is in the path to become one.
- Generally, Countries with high GDP (Gross Domestic Product) tend to spend more time on sports and games, because of high quality of life and more free time.
- Sports is a major contributor to GDPs to most of the developed and developing countries.
- As India has more no of young people, there is more potential to utilize sports talent in youth and to become one of the sports superpowers.
- The rise of social media affected sports positively. These days, several sports got well-deserved attention.
- Sports filed is increasingly attracting corporate investments through CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility).
Situation in other countries :-
- China has systematic sports schools both in urban and rural areas. China invests heavily in the sports sector.
- In USA, National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) supports sports talent in students.
The present situation of sports is definitely better than before with the introduction of leagues for neglected sports. We are on a good path. But still, there is much to be done to produce more world class athletes and to inspire future generations to take sports as a career. Thereby the fast growing sports industry will create more job opportunities too.
Afterwords :- Did we miss any point? Please let us know your thoughts in the comment section.