- An NGO based in New Zealand called 4 Day Week Global organized a 6-month pilot program to provide employees with a 4-day work week without a pay cut. A majority of the companies involved in this project were based in the U.S. and Ireland. Most of the companies and employees that participated in the experiment decided not to switch back to a 5-day work week making the trial a huge success.
Benefits of a 4-day work week:
- The survey results mentioned that employees are more productive in a shorter work week. As a result, companies reported higher profits. So, it is a win-win situation for employees and companies.
- When a company has a short work week and a good work culture, employees are less likely to leave. So, a 4-day work week can help companies with better employee retention.
- Work-life balance will be improved for employees. Happy employees are always a plus for companies.
- Absenteeism will decrease since employees will be less likely to take leaves.
- Employees will be willing to come to the office after a long weekend.
- A shorter work week may result in tougher deadlines. This can increase stress among employees.
- Micro, small and medium-scale companies may not be able to afford a 4-day work week.
- It is still common for companies in many countries, including India, to not offer a five-day workweek. So, we cannot expect a 4-day work week to become the norm any time soon.
4 day work weeks, when used correctly, can improve the profit margins of companies. However, they may not be suitable for all companies. As more and more people strive to balance life and work well, a 4 work week will facilitate that.
Photo by fauxels
Do you like working in companies that provide 4 days work week? What’s your take on this topic? Express your point of view through the comment section below. And subscribe to our blog to read answers to the trending GD topics.
- Four-day work week is here but will it work for Indian companies?
- Will a 4-day work week be successful in India? Here is what experts think
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.