- Euthanasia means the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or an irreversible coma.
- Euthanasia is of two types, one is active and another is passive. Passive Euthanasia means stopping the treatment which is of no use and allowing the patient to die peacefully. Active Euthanasia means injecting the poison to make the patient die.
- Determining Euthanasia has two cases. One is the person is able to express his willingness to die because of unbearable pain. And the second case is the patient is being in coma and unable to express his views, in that case patient’s relatives and doctors have to take the decision.
- In Netherlands, both active and passive euthanasia are legalized. In United Kingdom, only passive euthanasia is legalized. In remaining countries, it isn’t legalized.
Earliest story of euthanasia is found in the Talmud (Avoda Zara 18). One of the ten martyrs, Rabbi Hanina ben Teradyon, was burnt at the stake holding a Torah scroll. His students stood around and said to him, “Rebbe, open your mouth. Let the flames and smoke enter your body and choke you so that you will die quicker and not suffer this terrible torture.” He said, “No. God gave me my soul. Only He should retrieve it from me.”
- Passive euthanasia is made legal in India in March 2018.
- It should be allowed, if there is no hope of life and the pain is so high. And It should be decided at least two qualified doctors.
- It should be legalized to the patients who are in ‘persistent vegetative state’ ( the state of patients who are living through ventilators and there is no ray of hope).
- Science and technology is increasing rapidly, there is a chance of inventing medicines for incurable diseases too.
- If euthanasia is legalized, some doctors won’t think of alternatives for living.
- By legalizing this, many people may think as suicide is legalized. They easily go for suicide even for small difficulties.
- If the patient is not in a state to express his/her views, his/her relatives may choose euthanasia for him/her for their selfish reasons.
It should be legalized if the pain of the patient’s pain is intolerable and there is no chance to survive, but with strict rules like more than two doctors conformation and the patient’s family acceptance. However, Doctors should try for their life up to maximum possibility. Because Life is a gift of God. It should not be taken by us.
Afterwords :- What are your thoughts on this topic? Feel free to express your opinion in the comment section below.