- Fast foods are the foods that are quickly prepared or pre-prepared and served at restaurants. Most of these foods contain high sugars or high fats or high sodium levels. The consumers of fast foods are increasing at a rapid rate.
Effects of fast-food culture:
- Due to high sugars or salts or fats in fast foods, the regular consumers will have to face several health issues such as high blood pressure, obesity and other lifestyle diseases.
- The fast-food can also affect our brains and make us crave more unhealthy food.
- Fast foods satisfy hunger but it rarely provides us with enough nutrition.
- Due to the emerging fast-food culture, people are not motivated to cook healthy meals, which take plenty of time to prepare.
Reasons for the growth of fast food culture:
- The pre-prepared foods save a lot of time. In hectic lifestyles, saving time is a priority and hence the consumption of fast foods is increasing.
- The easy availability of fast-food restaurants is also increasing the consumption of such foods.
- Advertisements of fast food companies show that consuming their food products is a cool thing. Fear of missing out can motivate youngsters to consume food products.
- Increasing income of middle-class people is resulting in the availability of disposable income. This is also one of the reasons for the emerging fast-food culture.
- As people are now more aware of the importance of healthy foods, fast food chains are coming up with healthy options. But most of those products are also unhealthy and contain high fats and sodium.
How can we get rid of fast food culture:
- There should be restrictions on advertisements that promote fast food consumption.
- There is a need to take steps to promote a healthy lifestyle. Moreover, healthy food should be much cheaper than fast food.
- Widespread awareness programs on the ill effects of fast foods should be conducted. And it should be made compulsory to provide nutritional facts labels.
- There should be a limit on the number of fast foods restaurants per area.
- Parents and teachers should guide kids and teenagers about the effects of consuming fast food and the importance of eating healthy food.
Fast-food consumption is linked to lifestyle diseases. So, there should be restrictions on advertisements that promote fast food consumption. There is a need to take steps to promote a healthy lifestyle.
Do you think fast food culture is problematic? Express your thoughts through the comment section below. And subscribe to our blog to read answers to the trending GD topics.
Photo by Valeria Boltneva from Pexels
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.