City Life :-
Advantages of City life :-
- City life means an advanced and well equipped environment. People migrate to cities because of better job opportunities, stability and a decent income which is a lack in villages.
- The city has a huge number of schools, colleges or universities established. Hence, the city folks get proper quality education which is a primary factor for standard living.
- Recreation and entertainment is plenty in the cities. People also get adequate opportunities to establish and showcase their talents here.
- City life provides commercialization, banking systems, and entrepreneurial businesses. This attracts more people from townships to settle in cities.
- Better transportation, sanitation, availability of water and drainage systems is seen in cities. The drainage of polluted water goes through a treatment before getting dumped in lakes or rivers. This keeps a small check on pollution too.
- Medical help is at fingertips when required. There are a number of hospitals and clinics and well equipped doctors and nurses for people in need.
Disadvantages of city life :-
- Urbanization is increasing at a rapid pace, and currently about 30-33% of Indians lives in cities. This rate tends to be around 40% by 2030. Hence, the quality of life in cities is expected to degrade and become unfit for living.
- City life is a very busy one, developing every second to a better version of itself. This results to a loss of the cultural qualities and flavors.
- A high demand for city life has resulted in congestion Human population has increased a lot in city areas.
- Tthe city’s population increases day by day. This leads to an environment with polluted air, smog, unclean water supplies, noise pollution
- It follows from the previous point that an increase in pollution rates in the cities brings in more health issues. People tend to fall sick more in cities due to polluted environment which is unfit for living.
- Unfair competition among businesses, increase in crime rates and immorality of the people is more in the cities.
- Increase in costs and expenditure is a vital problem for city dwellers. This creates a reason for more competition for gaining wealth and hence increases stress and crimes too.
Village Life :-
Advantages of rural life :-
- A pollution free environment is available in the rural/village areas only.
- Scenic beauty and greenery of rural areas is prominent. This also attracts tourists from around the globe.
- Rural areas have a scope for socio-economic benefits like reduction in prices of agricultural and consumer products, access to markets, public transport, employment opportunities, and better education and healthcare facilities.
- The essence of folk and culture is prominent in these ares. This defines the rural areas uniquely.
Disadvantages of rural life :-
- Lack of higher education is a backlog for rural lives. This creates the main hurdle for better standards of living.
- Rural areas have poor road connectivity. Over 40 per cent of India’s rural population remains outside the rural road network. According to the Planning Commission’s Working Group on Rural Roads, there are over 3.3 lakh rural habitations with no road connection.
- Limited medical help persists in these areas. A counted number of hospitals and even lesser doctors are available. Hence at times, people are bound to move to city areas for sustaining life.
- Rural life is difficult for women more because of lack of proper sanitation and toilets. The primary reason for this has to be the lack of educational opportunities.
- Though the city life has many disadvantages, people flock there more for its advantages.
- Improper road connectivity is one of the main reasons stopping growth in rural areas. But the government is making situations better for rural India. The Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) is a step towards improving road connectivity in rural parts of the country.
- Hence, reduction of pollution in cities and development of roads and infrastructure in rural areas will bring a balance between the two.
Afterwords :- Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas
Subscribe to GD Ideas
Ask a GD Topic
We’ll try our best to write content for the asked topics as soon as possible.