In Favor of Specialization :-
- Specialization is focused. One can easily search for job, because she/he knows exactly which job she/he wants.
- High productivity.
- Higher income.
- More demand in the present generation.
- Because of specialization of production, trade is increasing continuously.
Drawbacks of Specialization :-
- Risky. If the demand for that particular specialization decreases, one has to start another career from the scratch.
- Monotonous and boring.
- Lacks basic skills in the related fields.
- You may need to relocate as the places, which need specialists are limited.
- Limited career options.
- Requires more years of study comparatively.
In Favor of Generalization :-
- More job options.
- Can switch careers easily.
- Organization leaders excel better if they are generalists, because they need to have a basic understanding of all the jobs in their company.
- More probability of learning continuously about related things.
- More scope for growth and improvement.
- Less risky because demand will always be there.
Drawbacks of Generalization :-
- Lower income comparatively.
- Requires more work of constant updating.
- No clarity while searching for job as there are too many options.
When a person observes some general symptoms that have the probability of different diseases, she/he can’t run to every specialist related to that. In this case, people generally visit general surgeon to know which specialist they should meet. Likewise, demand and requirement will always be there for both generalists and specialists. However demand varies from one field to another.
Afterwords :- What are your thoughts on this topic? Feel free to express your opinion in the comment section below.
First published on March 5th, 2016. Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.
Subscribe to GD Ideas
Ask a GD Topic
We’ll try our best to write content for the asked topics as soon as possible.