In Favor :-
- Though internet is giving access to information to all for free, it is increasingly turning into a breeding ground for violent behaviour. Criminals are spreading hate content and impacting innocent youth.
- Increasing content of porn on internet is misguiding children and youth. Porn encourages violence and gender stereotypes.
- Terrorists are recruiting innocent youth through internet. Censorship helps in stopping these activities.
- Cyber bullying is on the rise. It affects not just individuals but families and the society.
- Internet censorship helps in maintaining Cyber security.
- Rapidly increasing piracy need to be curtailed through censorship.
- Spreading fake news has become common these days. But they are rarely penalized. Blocking the websites that originates fake news, creates fear and acts as a deterrent.
- Misleading ads such as losing weight, skin brightening are trapping innocents and causing financial loss.
- Dangerous clips such as sexual abuse on women and children are increasingly uploaded on internet impacting innocent minds.
- Human traffickers are using internet to grow their exploitative business. Censoring the internet impacts them and can reduce the trafficking.
- The present generation children are exposed to hate content, adult sites and misleading content. To protect children and the adolescents, and to restore moral values, censorship is needed.
- Some people are defaming their enemies as a revenge tactic. Punishment and censorship will help in solving such kind of problems.
- Internet censorship violates the right to freedom of speech and expression.
- Internet censorship will lead to concentration of power in the hands of the government. It may block access to honest criticism on government, opposition parties’ websites in the name of ‘hate speech’. It will lead to dictatorship.
- At present Internet has equality. Anyone can write and publish their content easily. With censorship, money power may rule the internet. Rich people can write anything, but poor may have to go though a lot to not get blocked.
- Radical changes in the society may not spread easily with censorship. Leaders with orthodox beliefs will not accept change and may censor the content such as articles on allowing women to places of worship.
- As everyone has different opinions on what is good and what is bad, every content that is censored can lead to protests.
Situation in India :-
- In India, pirated content is removed, if the content creator goes to court. These days this option is increasingly utilized.
- India banned porn sites in 2014, but the ban was lifted within a week due to public pressure.
- In 2015, 32 websites were banned in India including Daily motion, GitHub, Vimeo as they could host terror content relating to ISIS. But this ban too was lifted later.
Situation in other countries :-
- Chinese have no access to google, facebook, twitter.
- Saudi Arabia and UAE block the sites that contain pornography and any other Anti-Islamic content.
Censoring Internet will not be accepted by many because of its vulnerability to power politics. But there is a dire need to monitor the content on internet to trap criminals and to protect society from the evil side of internet.
Do you think Internet should be censored? Express your thoughts in the comment section below.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.