- In March 2018, Telangana govt passed Private Universities Bill, allowing establishments of private universities in the state.
- All the states of India except Goa, Kerala and Jammu & Kashmir allowed Private entities to setup universities.
Difference between College and University :-
- In India, private colleges operate independently and should have affiliation to any university. Whereas universities should be recognized by UGC (University Grants Commission) and can have affiliated colleges under them.
- Though Indian government is maintaining schools, colleges and universities, government’s primary responsibility is to provide primary education for all children under Right to Education (RTE) act. Hence Private universities will reduce the burden of government to provide higher education.
- To sustain global competition, huge capital, resources and technology is needed. Government alone cannot afford to invest these things, hence private participation is necessary.
- Establishment of private universities will create more employment opportunities.
- Many government colleges and universities are not providing quality education. This fact is visible through the “Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings” 2018, in which only 3 Indian institutes are there in top 200 universities of the world. Hence through the establishment of private universities, atleast those who can afford the fee can get quality education.
- Through establishment of more universities, competition leads to providing more quality education.
- High tuition fees in Private universities is one of the biggest cons. This increases the inequality in access to quality education.
- As people with power and money have access to good education, government tend to ignore govt universities.
- There is high staff shortage and lack of basic infrastructure in government universities. Instead of allowing private hands, govt should improve the condition of govt universities.
- Private universities tend to run courses that have market demand and may not continue some courses, in which a small percentage of students are interested.
- Private universities do not have reservations for economically and socially disadvantaged groups.
- There is no guarantee that private universities will provide quality education.
Though private universities may increase inequality in accessing quality education, they are needed at present to enroll more students in higher education and to sustain global competition. However, improving the infrastructure and the quality of education in government universities is also must to eliminate the gap between the education that is available to rich and poor.
Afterwords :- What is your take on this topic? Express your thoughts in the comment section below. Subscribe to our blog to get new topics delivered to your mail.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.
You may also like:
- India is a fast developing country. Despite this, people at the bottom are not benefiting of it. In your view, what is the reason behind it?
- India’s obsession with Gold – How it affects Indian Economy?
- Light pollution – A new threat
- Is Educational qualification necessary for Politicians?
- Will GST be a success?