In Favor :-
- With alcohol ban, problems of domestic violence & financial drain will be reduced.
- When alcohol is available abundantly, chances of drinking is higher.
- Total ban on Alcohol in ‘Lakshadweep’ is a big success.
- Alcohol consumption is highly prevalent in the poorer sections of society. Ban on Alcohol will save them from financial drain.
- Crimes and accidents will be reduced to some extent.
- Alcohol addiction is not just a threat to the person that drinks, but also to his/her entire family.
- Supply of illicit liquor will be increased.
- States will lose revenue from the alcohol sale.
- Smuggling & liquor mafias will be increased. Smuggling to the ‘Nagaland’ state from the neighboring state ‘Assam’ is an example for this.
- Use of alternative addictives such as drugs will be increased especially among youth.
- Many people, who are working in the Alcohol industry will lose their jobs.
- If Alcohol ban is implemented, people will be arrested and prosecuted for just taking alcohol. That may not be that serious crime to get punished.
- Alcoholic beverages can be divided into 3 types – Beers (4-6% Alcohol), Wine (9-16% Alcohol) & Liquor ((or Hard Liquor) up to 40% Alcohol).
- In most of the states of India, ban on Alcohol did exist during pre-independence days, but was lifted after India became independent, except in the state of Gujarat.
- Till now alcohol is banned in Nagaland, Mizoram, Gujarat, Bihar and Kerala.
- Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Harayana & Manipur experimented partial or complete ban on liquor.
- De-addiction centers were opened in places, where the ban is imposed.
- These days political parties are promising Alcohol ban to woo women voters.
Situation in other countries :-
- In 1920s, North America banned Alcohol. But this ban was a big failure. the ban came to end in the early 1930s.
- In Phillippines & Turkey, restriction on alcohol are there during elections.
- Sale of Alcohol is illegal in Afghanistan, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Kuwait, Yemen due to Islamic faith.
- In Bangladesh, only Non-Muslims can consume alcohol.
Alcohol ban is a good step for bringing down the consumption, but total ban in a single phase may not yield good results. It must be implemented in a phased manner and the sale should be restricted to very few outlets, so that the consumption can be brought down.
Afterwords :- Do you support complete ban on Alcohol? Express your opinions in the comment section below.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.