- Followed by the Muslims in India, Triple talaq is a customary way of an instant divorce of a married couple where the man gets the liberty to announce the end of his marriage simply by orating ‘talaq’ thrice to his wife. This sort of instant talaq questions human rights and gender equality the constitution of India promises to offer.
- As more and more women suffered due to this unfair practice, thousands took to the streets and started their personal riots in the support of article 14 of the Indian constitution in the support of the right of equality. Shayara Banu Case (2016) strengthened their attempt to quote triple talaq as unconstitutional.
- With the other Islamic countries like Pakistan, Egypt, Iraq happen to have banned the concept of triple talaq, led the Indian government to fill the triple talaq bill. The women activists have been successful with the fine attempt of ending such a biased divorce agreement.
- Triple talaq has now become a highly debatable topic which has filled up front headlines and media coverage. The government, after collecting a total of 50,000 approval signatures from the concerned party has filled a new triple talaq bill to the supreme court and is waiting for the bill to be passed by the parliament of India.
- After the union cabinet meeting on the 15th of December this year(2017), Triple talaq was termed as “illegal and void” and would lead to three-year jail faced by the husband. Unlike the Hindu divorce terms, triple talaq bill doesn’t include the opinion of the wife after the declaration of the talaq by her husband.
- Sadly, the amendments weren’t consulted with the All India Muslim Personal Law Board – an organisation which looks into all the matters related to the Muslim community in India. Due to this, the members highly doubt the formation of all the norms as it doesn’t speak of the consequences such a bill would impose upon criminalization of instant talaq.
- Like every coin has two sides, Triple talaq bill offers the right to gender equality to all the Muslim wives but on the other hand, leads to the prosecution of the husband in each and every case registered without his wife’s official consent. Muslim men have been completely hesitant about the passage of this bill as it doesn’t just puts them in a difficult situation but also snatches their shield to freedom and justice.
- Currently, the Triple talaq bill is being reviewed in the Parliament office and the end result is expected anytime in the next year.
Triple talaq is a divorce customary followed by the Muslim community offers huge disadvantages towards to growth and development of the women society. Sadly, Triple talaq bill has not met the expectations as it is now quoted to be hasty and impulsive.
Though it helps the women of our country to live freely without being controlled by their husbands anymore, the basic right to gender equality seems to have been snatched away from the Muslim males. This harassment of males would lead directly towards the alienation from their own community. The bill must, therefore, be made considering both the genders as equal in the eyes of law. Whatever be the decision, the entire country awaits not just the ban of triple talaq but also the passage of the correct bill.
What is your opinion on this topic? Express your thoughts in the comment section below.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.