- The Indian government banned psychotropic substances such as cannabis, marijuana etc through ‘The Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act’ (NDPS), 1985.
- In 2020, after many celebrities are interrogated about drug usage, several people are suggesting to legalize marijuana.
- Earlier in 2017, Maneka Gandhi has also recommended legalizing marijuana for medical purposes.
What is Marijuana:
- Marijuana is a mixture of dried leaves and flowers of the cannabis plant. It is used in several ways. Some people use it for medical purposes. Some others use it to get high.
- The Indian government banned marijuana due to drug abuse.
Yes – Marijuana should be legalized in India:
- Marijuana can be used for medical purposes, such as reducing side effects of cancer treatment, in treating epilepsy etc.
- It can also be used as a painkiller and a stress reliever. If it is legalized, common people can use marijuana as an alternative to expensive medicines.
- As marijuana is illegal in India, some people are taking alternative drugs that are dangerous such as cocaine, heroin etc.
- There is no threat to life by overdose of marijuana. Hence it is a safer alternative to alcohol and tobacco.
- Tobacco is very dangerous to health, but it is legal in India. So, it is not reasonable to make marijuana illegal.
- Through legalizing marijuana, taxes on it will be one more source of revenue for the Indian government.
- Illegal trade of marijuana will be eliminated.
No – Marijuana should not be legalized in India:
- If minors consume marijuana, it affects their brain development.
- Marijuana affects judgmental abilities because it has a mind-altering chemical. And hence people will get high after consuming it. This can lead to more crimes and road accidents.
- If it is legalized, it will be available in abundance. Hence more people will use marijuana.
- People that use marijuana will get psychologically addicted to it.
- Negative health effects of smoking marijuana are more severe than taking it orally. If it is legalized, people may use it to smoke.
Considering medical purposes and the availability of marijuana in illegal ways, there is a need to revisit the law banning marijuana and cannabis. But it is very important to take steps in preventing their misuse.
Do you think Marijuana needs to be legalized in India? Express your thoughts in the comment section below. Subscribe to our blog to get new topics delivered to your mail.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.