- Political leaders of Bihar have been demanding for ‘special category status’ for their state from a long time.
Should Bihar be given Special category status?
Before coming to a decision let us look at the factors due to which a state is granted a special category status:
- Economic and Infrastructural Backwardness.
- Non-viable state finances.
- Low population density/ Presence of sizeable tribal population.
- Strategic location along international borders.
- Hilly and difficult terrain.
Let’s compare Bihar with the above parameters now:
- River Ganga flows through Bihar dividing the state into North Bihar and South Bihar. Part of the northern fertile plain lies in Bihar too with Ganga’s tributaries providing proper water supply.
- It is a landlocked state and shares its borders only with Indian states.
- Scheduled Tribes constitute only 1.28% of the total population. And the population density of Bihar is quite high.
- Bihar state GDP is ranked 8th out of 29 states.
- Bihar is a natural resource-rich country. There are several PSUs as well as private sector industries in Bihar. Its GDP is proof of it.
When we compare the state of Bihar with the states who have special category status, we can see the conditions, resources are much better than those states. There is no kind of militancy too. Hence according to the criteria, Bihar should not be given special status.
Do you think Bihar should be granted special status? Express your thoughts through the comment section below. And subscribe to our blog to read answers to trending GD topics.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.