Table of Contents
- In 2019’s Lok Sabha elections, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) won 353 seats and formed the government again. So, what are the biggest challenges before the Modi 2.0 government?
Major challenges for the new Modi government:-
- The biggest challenge for the new government is to gain the trust of minorities. Mob lynchings, hate speeches and several other incidents caused insecurity in minorities. Modi government 2.0 needs to take action on those who are spreading hate and need to gain the trust of everyone.
- Unemployment is on the rise. In the financial year 2018-19, the unemployment rate is 6.1%. The second biggest challenge for the new Modi government is to create job opportunities at a large scale.
- Agrarian crisis is one of the important challenges for the new government. In 2018’s union budget, the government promised to double the farmers’ income by 2022. But it seems impossible to achieve considering the agricultural crisis in India. In the interim budget 2019, the government announced the income support program, through which government is giving Rs.6000 per annum to the farmers who own less than 2 hectares of land. But it is not at all sufficient to lift the agricultural sector out of the crisis. Structural reforms are needed to solve the agricultural crisis in India.
- India needs to improve its relationship with its neighbours.
- Crimes on women are on rising in India. But the laws are not being effectively implemented to tackle the issue. The new government needs to take serious steps to prevent crimes on women.
- In 2014’s elections manifesto, BJP promised to pass ‘women’s reservation bill‘ (108th constitutional amendment bill), but it couldn’t keep the promise. The new Modi government needs to take a step on the bill to keep its word.
- According to the State of India’s Environment (SoE) report by The ‘Center for Science and Environment’, air pollution is killing one lakh children aged under 5 every year. Increasing air pollution levels is a serious concern.
- As India is facing water scarcity, providing access to clean water for everyone is yet another challenge for the new Modi government.
The fact that the Modi government is re-elected reveals that many people have trust in it. But still, the government has a lot of challenges too. Let’s hope that the Modi government 2.0 will be successful in tackling all these challenges.
Image credits: Narendra Modi via Flickr under CC 2.0
What are your thoughts on this topic? Tell us through the comment section below. And subscribe to our blog to read answers to trending GD topics.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.