10% Quota for Economically weaker people in General Category – Good or Bad?

Theme :-

  • In January 2019, 124th constitution amendment bill was passed to grant 10% reservation for economically weaker sections of General Category in government jobs and in government & private educational institutions.
  • Article 15 & 16 of Indian constitution mentions about positive affirmative action for socially disadvantaged groups in education & employment respectively. In Indian constitution, there is no provision of economic basis reservation. So, to allow 10% reservation for economically weaker sections of General Category, government passed 124th constitutional amendment act, which added sub-clauses to Article 15 & 16.

In Favor :-

  • This quota helps those who are really in need of reservation, but couldn’t avail it because of their General category tag. Some people in General category are in poverty from many generations. So, this bill helps those people.
  • As India has caste based reservation system, poor among General Category people felt discriminated. Now this problem is solved to some extent with this bill.
  • From the past few years, people of several communities from several states are protesting to add their communities to the reservation category. Kapus of Andhra Pradesh, Jats of Haryana & Patels of Gujarat are some communities that are protesting. With this 10% Quota, these communities may feel satisfied.

Against the move :-

  • The concept of reservations or positive affirmative action is added because some communities have faced so much discrimination and assaults in the past & some communities are facing it even now. With these circumstances, it is difficult for people of these communities to get access to education & employment opportunities. So, to help these communities, the concept of reservations was introduced. But giving reservation on economic basis is not right because they have not faced discrimination & trauma like socially disadvantaged groups.
  • In 1992, Supreme court held that reservations should not be given solely on economic basis, but rather it should be given to distressed communities.
  • This quota is applicable to those who have annual income of less then 8 lakh rupees. 95% of Indians fall into this category. So, approximately 95% people of General category now have 10% reservation. And hence there will so much competition for this 10% quota. Those who have access to better education will score well and will avail the reservation benefits. So, again the poor among general category are at loss.
  • Supreme Court said in a judgement that reservations should not exceed 50%. This 10% quota disobeys this rule.
  • At first there was only one OBC category. But now we have subcategories in OBC in several states, because some castes of OBC are frequently using reservation depriving benefits to other castes. So, state governments sub-categorized OBC and shared quotas. This problem may arise in General Category also. And hence government will be forced to do sub-categorization of General Category as well. This may deepen the caste divisions.
  • This bill was made into an act in just a few days, that too just before elections. This may happened due to Vote Bank politics.
  • This quota will solve the core issues of unemployment & inequality. And hence this is not a sustainable solution in the long-run.
  • Many people do not have consistent income, especially if they are in the informal sector. For some people, economic status changes frequently because of medical issues or losses in business etc. So, reservations on economic basis may not be a right decision.

Better alternatives :-

  • Instead of increasing reservation quotas, improving education system, providing better access to education loans, scholarships and providing more employment opportunities will prevent the need for reservations.
  • There should be a debate on reservation system. At first, reservations were introduced only for 15 years. But even after 70 years, there is no overhaul of the reservation system.
  • Instead of adding more & more people to the reservation categories, weeding out the fake beneficiaries continuously can help in reducing the reservation percentage and will ensure that there will be reservation for only deserving people.
  • The best alternative is getting rid of caste system, which is very difficult but not impossible. Of course political parties will not do anything about it because of the vote bank politics. But we, the citizens can make it happen. If government creates a new caste and if it allows everyone to migrate to it, we can together get rid of this caste system & we can make India a better to live in. If you like this idea, please sign this petition – Create ‘Humanity’ caste & allow everyone to migrate to it.

Conclusion :-

10% quota for economically backward people of General category seems to be a good step to uplift the poor sections of general category, but it’s not a sustainable solution in the long-run. With this kind of reservation system, it is very difficult for the deserving people to avail reservation benefits.

Your Turn…

What is your opinion on this topic? Express your thoughts in the comment section below. Subscribe to our blog to read answers for trending GD topics.


Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.

You may also like : All GD topics with Answers

Subscribe to GD Ideas

Ask a GD Topic

We’ll try our best to write content for the asked topics as soon as possible.

7 comments

  1. in my point of view this is really helpful for persons who are economically backward.since many years general category people are facing many problems in getting admissions in colleges and obs in govt sectors.this is really helpful who are really intelligent and educated people.but govt take this decision in a hurry.like govt put some conditions like those whose annual income is less than 8 lacks those are eligible and also put some restrictions on property,land etc.but based on a survey 90%of the people are belong to these category those remaining 10% people literally suffered with this in their jobs or whatever benefits are others getting.the permanent solution to this is completely eradicate the caste system in our country.first we thought we didn’t get the reservation for general category but now we got it.like this in future if we try we can completely remove our caste system .hope for the best in future

    1. but criteria is not good having less than 8 lakh annual income. think about it, more than 95% people come under this criteria. i think 8 lakh incomer is not poor people

  2. My Question is Why one need a reservation? because someone is economically poor or because a lower caste suffered at the hand of upper caste or political parties need vote bank. if we start debating on this than in my views no-one will win.
    Now our beloved government has also started giving reservation to the economically weaker section of the society. This is a great move to give reservation to on the basis of economic condition but then shouldn’t they have abolished the current caste based reservation system.
    Our government is trying to put as many as people in the reservation system but is our government had ever thought out many people they uplifted from reservation?

    Now coming to analysis on the current move of the reservation. I have found that this decision is taken in a hurry without looking and examining at all that parameter properly. Many news articles are claiming that around 95% of people fall in the prescribed parameters of the reservation. Then why the government is being unfair to the remaining 5% of people. They should also be given some type of reservation.

  3. According to me 10 percent quota for economically weaker sections it is good because of in our country many peoples are there , they are not economically sound I e they don’t get chance in reputed school or college or any other institutions inspite of that they are very good in their study , their parents cannot afford them as they are general caste tag they don’t get chance but those are schedule caste or schedule tribe they get the chance. Now govt has taken steps then economically weaker sections people they can uplift them as the quota they will get the government job and children can take admission in reputed organisation. But authority has to take care those people actually need the help they will get. It should not misuse .Most of the cases we see those people hand in glove with the political leaders they get the chance or influential peoples family get the chance , those actually need , they don’t get chance, this is not good. Those need they should get.

  4. I thought that’s it’s not a good move for our country because it’s not a sustainable solution for long run . And it is only political agenda of parties for collection of votes of people.

Join in the Group Discussion...

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *